The European Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion invites applications for Board examinations, to be held in all European Full Member countries in November of each year. These
examinations are supported by the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, the European Society for Cardiovascular Surgery and the European Association of
Cardiothoracic Anaesthesiologists, for the award of the European Certificate in Cardiovascular Perfusion (ECCP).
Deadline for application: September 15th every year.
Applicants wishing to sit the Board's examination must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have graduated from a perfusion training program at an institution which has successfully applied for accreditation from the European Board of
- Applicants must have practiced clinical perfusion for a minimum of two years in a Full Member country by the deadline of 30 June of each year. (The training
period is included in this time).
- Applicants must be currently practicing clinical perfusionists.
- Applicants must complete and have signed the attestation statement by the Clinical Supervisor of their training program which certifies that:
the applicant has, as the primary perfusionist, conducted a minimum of 100 clinical perfusions and is now competent to practice unsupervised.
the applicant is fully versed and is competent in the avoidance and the management of perfusion accidents.
the applicant can set up and operate a wide range of commonly used equipment for cardiopulmonary bypass.
- A completed EBCP Logbook, current training program logbook, or national logbook must accompany the candidate's application. All logbook entries must include the
date and description of each performed procedure. All logbooks must be signed by the training program director or the clinical supervisor.
- All candidates who successfully complete the Written Examination must also successfully complete a Practical and Oral Examination. These examinations may be
completed at the training program prior to graduation or, if having previously graduated, where the candidate is presently employed. In the later case, the exam must be organized with the aid of
the national Delegate to the EBCP, while an EBCP Observer is required to be present at the exam. Practical and Oral Examination Forms are available through the EBCP. The ECCP will be awarded upon
successful completion of all three examinations.
When the application form and fee have been accepted by the Board, the applicant will be sent an information packet which contains:
The simplified examination syllabus
A selection of sample questions, which are similar to the examination questions
Practical and Oral Examination Forms
There is an appeals procedure for those who do not meet the full criteria to take the examination and feel they have special circumstances. It is stressed that appeals, which must be made in
writing to the General Secretary of the Board at the above address, will be carefully scrutinized.
Filip de Somer
All necessary information can be found here: